Looking for the best commuter bike? In today’s world where traffic, pollution, congestion, crowded roadways and crawling traffic or all too common, it is not very surprising when we see many people go in for smaller and more convenient means of transport. Hence today we see many young men and women switching over the good old bicycle. Apart from being very commuter-friendly, it is also very environment-friendly. It helps to save big money on gasoline and other recurring expenses. Further, it also provides many of us to have a chance to exercise our bodies given the fact that most of us lead a sedentary lifestyle. Hence it would be interesting to have a closer look at the reasons for the growth of this form of biking.
Compare 5 Lightweight Commuter BikesTable could not be displayed.
Detailed Commuter Bike Reviews
This comes from a company known as Vilano, who requires no introduction. They have come out with different types of bicycles and therefore this model with 21 speeds and 700c wheel and tires would most certainly raise the interest levels of many people. Hence it would be worthwhile to have a look at the main features of this bicycle.
Some Salient Features
- It is a lightweight bicycle made from high quality 6061 double butted aluminum frame.
- This certainly makes it a very strong and rugged bike suitable for various types of rough uses.
- Apart from the above it also has a number of other features. These include A050 Thumb shifter.
- The side is machined using CNC and is double-walled (700c). It also has 21 speeds to choose from and therefore it can choose and handle any situation. It also comes with free pedals and they are also tough and stubborn without compromising on looks.
- It is a quality bike which comes to the customer with 85% assembled condition. The balance 15% can be assembled going through the instruction manual.
- Most customers are very happy about the quality of the frame which they feel is extremely tough and long lasting.
- It is a low-cost bike which serves many common purposes and therefore it offers the best value for money.
- It can help you reach your destination safely and on time. It has a good pickup and being sleek in design it can easily weave through thick city traffic.
- The quality of brakes is not very good and this is an area where some improvement might be required.
When one takes into account all the above advantages and downsides and compares it with other bikes in the market, there are reasons to believe that it is a quality bike. It certainly will be able to give you company to your workplace and back for many years and also help you with your other errands.
#2 Northwoods Springdale
Women who would like to move independently to their workplace without having to depend on their own transport or public transport could certainly have a closer look at the Northwoods Springdale 21-speed Bicycle 700c. It certainly is a wonderful bike for women, because it is lightweight, good looking and easy to navigate in city traffic and built especially for city road conditions.
- The lightweight aluminum frame is designed for longevity durability and comfort of riding.
- It also comes with 21-speed gear and Shimano Tourney rear derailleur.
- The rims are made from high-quality alloy material and are long-lasting and tough to handle rough road conditions which are so common in cities.
- It also has other add-ons like rear rack and fenders to keep dirt and grime away.
- It is built to perform and can handle potholes and other obstacles on the roads quite easily.
- The wheels are perfectly designed keeping mind requirements of road traffic.
- There are quite a few positive takeaways as far as this bike is concerned.
- It comes in an almost totally pre-installed mode because 85% of the installation is complete.
- It is a great utility bike and it offers quality value for money.
- It comes in different colors and this makes it all the more attractive.
- It comes in different sizes so that one can choose the one which suits their specific needs and requirements.
- It can also help lug around quite a few things and therefore it is suitable for running
- The weight of the bike is slightly on the higher side and this might make it difficult for petite people to carry the bike around
Though many might consider it mixed baggage, there are scores of people who are very upbeat about this bike. They believe that it has all the attributes and qualities to offer the best value for money to those who are looking for a reasonably good bike at the right price. It requires little maintenance and can last for many years.
#3 Critical Cycles Harper
This bike coming from the house of Critical Cycles is right now available in two colors, orange, and graphite. It is an astoundingly good looking bike and engineered and made to perfection. There are quite a few numbers of positives as far as this bike is concerned. It is a single speed bike with fixed gears and therefore suitable for commuting within the city and also engaging in some fun trips and adventure trips. All this is possible because the bike has quite a number of interesting features.
- It is a hand built cycle made from premium steel and it comes with bar-spin clearance.
- Additionally, it does not have horizontal dropout or toe overlapping.
- Since it is a fixed gear bike it comes with a flip-flop hub. This helps you to alternate between fixed drive and freewheel drive quite easily.
- The freewheel drive will give the best of coasting experience.
- There are other important accessories like 30 mm deep v rims, quality KMC, Wanda commuter tires, and VP freestyle pedals.
- Last but not the east two sets of quality brakes, one for the front and the other for the rear.
- It has all the components required for the best of the ride at all points of time.
- It also comes with the required set of tools that are needed for maintaining and building the cycle in good condition.
- It also comes with the most transparent and customer friendly terms and conditions.
- It arrives almost in a completely installed mode and only 15% of work has to be done as far as installation post-arrival is concerned.
- There is nothing wrong about this bike except the fact that customer services at times might get a bit delayed.
When one goes through the various pluses, minutes and then takes a call there are reasons to strongly feel that it is not just any other city commuter bike. It has all the credentials for being considered as one of the ultimate commuter bikes in the market today from various critical parameters.
#4 Schwinn Discover
Vevor is a name that needs no introduction as far as quality bikes are concerned. This 26-inch coolest road bike therefore also evinces quite a bit of interest as far as customers are concerned. The reason for that is because this bike comes with a number of unique features and we will discuss a few of them over the next few lines.
- It is a bike which comes with a 26-inch wheel size. The width of the wheel is 2 inches.
- It comes with 21-speed gear. Further, it has quality brakes both in the front and the rear.
- The brakes are caliper type.
- It also has a quality front shock suspension.
- The rims are made from quality double alloy material.
- The frame is made from high carbon steel and therefore is rust and corrosion free.
- It is known for its toughness and durability.
- It also comes with adjustable handlebar and seat height adjustments.
- The bike has a number of advantages. For example, it is suitable both for students and the elderly.
- It is lightweight around 45 pounds and therefore it can be carried if needed.
- The accents, colors and style are simply gorgeous and are liked by almost all customers.
- It is one of the few bikes that has won many rave reviews and has got 5 star rating from scores of customers.
- It does not come fully assembled and around 15% has to be assembled locally which might require professional help.
In one word, this bike can be described as a value for money investment and it delivers on all promises made to the customers. It also has the best of after sales services and spare parts are easily available. It has won quite a few positive reviews from customers and many of them have given in 5 star rating.
This is a top quality commuter bike that is reasonably priced and offers good facilities and amenities in terms of features and functions. It has all the facilities that one could expect from a good commuter bike coming from the stables of Goplus. Over the next few lines, we will try and look at the various features which perhaps set this cycle apart from many others in the market.
- It can carry a weight of around 440 lbs and the unit itself weighs 32 pounds making it quite lightweight while not compromising on carrying capacity.
- It is perfectly suited for those who are between 5.5 feet and 6.0 feet.
- As far as specifications are concerned, it comes with TZ50 shifter and Derailleur and can generate the right speed and power to cater to racing, commuting or even leisurely traveling needs.
- It also comes with a kickstand and it has 21-speed options available.
- It is made from high-quality aluminum frame which is tough and long lasting and prevents corrosion and rusting.
- It comes 85% packed and therefore you have very little job left to be done.
- The remainder of the installation can be done within a few minutes with or without the help of professionals.
- It requires very little maintenance because it does not have too many moving parts.
- The packing according to many customers has a lot of scope for improvement.
When we take all the above facts and look at in totality, there cannot be any doubt that this is a quality bike. It has been designed to cater to commuting and other regular uses. It is at the end of the day a good buy at a reasonable price.
How To Choose Best Commuter Bikes?
When we talk about the good commuter bikes we are referring to something which is quite simple in technology. It actually looks like the good old bikes which our fathers and grandfathers used to have. Yes, the design features might have gone in for some change they might have become trendier with some new attractive features. However, the basic function continues to remain the same. They help people to commute from homes to workplaces or use them for running errands and also for getting some much-needed exercise. These cycles are made basically from some time-tested and proven materials. They include stainless steel, titanium, aluminum, and other such material. Most of these materials are long lasting, proven and they also have anti-rust and other properties.
- External Drivetrains
When choosing the best commuter bicycle quite a few points have to be kept in mind. You must pay attention to the quality of the external drivetrains. This is important because these are used to transmit power for the commuter bicycles from the riders to the drive wheels. Speed and torque is generated with the help of these drivetrains. Hence when choosing a bicycle for commuting you must be sure that it has the best of freewheel technology available. These allow what is referred to as coasting, that is running on the power generated by the freewheel over a specific distance.
Brakes are extremely important and vital for any bicycle and therefore one must pay lot of attention to it. Generally all commuter bikes come with a pair of brakes. One is for the rear wheel and the other is the front brakes. Further as far as commuting brakes are concerned, there are two variants to it. One is the conventional rime break. This is a simple technology by which the brake shoes touch the rims of the front and back wheel when activated. This results in slowing down of the vehicle without causing too much wobbling. Disc brake is something that is similar to what is found in motorcycles. So you must spend time and choose the bike with the right braking system.
- On Road Functionality
When riding a biking in the streets for commuting to and from workplace, you must ensure that it has the required road functionality. In other words, the ride must be comfortable, it must be able to negotiate narrow and congested roads and must be able to afford the best possible security and safety.
- Wheel Size
The wheel size also plays an important role when choosing best bikes for commuting. You basically will be choosing between 26 inch and 29 inch. When it comes to touring remote locations it is always better to choose 26 inch instead of 29 inch wheels. Further the latter will be more suited for those who are taller and anybody in the range of 5 feet two inches to 5 feet five inches might find these 29 inch wheels uncomfortable. However 700 cc and 29 inch wheels and they can handle rough roads and potholes much smoother when compared to 26 inch ones.
- Tyre Selection
You must certainly spend quality time choosing the right tyre for your bike. You must ensure that the best of wheel/tyre diameter is available. The width of the tyre should also be carefully chosen and for commuter tyres it usually is around 32 or 35c. It should also have puncture protection features and reflective sidewalls.
- Appearance And Style
You do not buy urban commuter bikes every day and therefore you would always like to buy one which has the best of ergonomic and style. It should be colorful and should make head turn around. It must look at muscle and steel.
- Internal Gear Hubs
When we talk about an internal gear hub we refer to a gear ratio changing system. This is specifically needed for best commuter bicycles which work or planetary or epicyclic gear. You must therefore choose the right gear hubs depending on your specific use and purpose.
Benefits Of Using The Best Quality Commuter Bikes
There is a big and continuing demand for commuter bikes because obviously it has some benefits associated with it. Let us look at a few reasons why it might make sense to go in for the best commuter bikes.
If you wish to remain fit then there is no doubt that cycling is considered one of the best exercises. It therefore would be a good idea to use a commuter cycle for going to your workplace and coming back. It is one of the best forms of exercise and it certainly could help to burn those excess calories and reduce the built up fat around the abdomen, shoulder and other parts of the body. It is one of the best cardio exercises and if it could be made a part of daily routine it certainly helps a lot.
- It Is Great Fun
Biking to work while others use various modes of transport can certainly be great fun. It takes you back to your childhood and brings back nostalgic memories. You could easily cover the distance to your office within 45 to 50 minutes and tell your stories of fun and enjoyment to your family, friends and colleagues.
- It is Economical Too
Cycling does not require any fuel and other recurring expenses. Hence you could be saving substantial amount of money on gasoline and other maintenance expenses if you travel by car. If you travel by public transport system, then too you will save a lot if you switch to cycling on a regular basis.
- It is Environment-Friendly
One of the biggest reasons for pollution and degradation of the environment is because of pollution caused by vehicles of various types. Hence it would not be a bad idea to reduce dependence on automated modes of transport and instead go in for environment-friendly commuter bicycles.
Related Category : Bestselling Foldable Bikes Of 2019
Hence at the end of the day, there is no denying the fact that there are a number of benefits and advantages if you are able to choose the best commuter bikes and then make it a habit to move around as much as possible in this simple but wonderful creation of the human brain.