If you are on the lookout for a combination of off-road and on-road cycling then you must use what is referred to as Best Cyclocross Bike. It is a bike which can work well on different terrains including grass, pavement, woodland trails, mud, and even sand. One of the main reasons why it makes sense to go in for these bikes is because it is quite versatile. It can, therefore, be very useful for touring, commuting locally, and even when traveling in loose mud and other difficult to gravel surfaces. In fact, it would not be wrong to call this as a bike which can do almost everything. It is more or less an all weather bike.
Bestselling Cyclocross Bike For The Money
5 Top Cyclocross Bike Reviews
Here is a look at five best-rated cyclocross bikes. We are sure it will help you to get useful information about these bikes and aid you in making the right choice.
Vilano 26″ Mountain Bike Ridge – Best Beginner Cyclocross Bike
Coming from the house of Altruism there is no doubt that this is one of the best Aluminum Cyclocross Speed Bicycles available in the market today. They are sleekly designed and have the best of ergonomics. They also come packed with different features and functions and it would make interesting reading to have a look at a few of them.
- They are 26 inches in size. They come with high-quality double disc brakes. They have separate models for men and women.
- They are often referred to as the complete bicycle. They come with 21-speed HGS 1-7 double disk brake.
- The 26-inch high-quality full suspension aluminum frame is something that sets it apart from other bicycles in the market.
- The bike weighs around 49.60 pounds and therefore is quite lightweight and suitable for tough and demanding terrains.
- It has an overall dimension of 25.59 inches x 5.91 inches x 51.18 inches.
- It comes with 85% installed and therefore making it road ready is quite easy.
- It is long lasting because it is made from high-quality magnesium alloy material.
- The wheel size is 26 inches which offer stability even when riding in difficult and tough terrains.
- It is available in a range of colors including red, army green, yellow, blue and black.
- The bikes are available in different models to suit men, women and even children.
- Overall it is a bike that offers very good value for money.
- There are a number of people who are not happy about the quality of the bike and the packing in particular leaves a bit to be desired.
- The braking system also has failed in a few instances.
To sum it up, when one looks at the various pros, cons, and features of this cyclocross bike, we can surmise that it is an above average bike. It is suitable for a rough ride and is comfortable for use on the road. However, there are a few quality issues which need to be sorted out so that it could compete with the top of the line cyclocross bikes in the market.
Takara Genkai Bike – Top Rated Steel Cyclocross Bike
There is no denying the fact that for many decades Takara has been at the forefront of making some of the finest bicycles. This includes some of the finest cyclocross bikes. Hence there are reasons to believe that the Genkai model will also have a number of exciting features and functionalities. It would, therefore, be interesting to have a closer look at a few of them over the next few lines.
- The high-quality Chromalloy steel fork and cyclocross frame without any doubt are one of the biggest takeaways as far as this bike is concerned.
- It comes with a threadless stem of 1 1/8 inches making it one of the few such bicycles in the market today.
- This bicycle also comes with 16-speed Shimano STI drive train.
- It also has unique dual water bottle mounts
- It comes in two different sizes, large and extra large. The large one has a size of 57 cm and the extra large one has a size of 63.5 centimeters.
- Given the fact that it is sturdy and made from high-quality material, the bicycle is quite light. It weighs 40.2 pounds and comes with an overall dimension of 8.4 x 28.6 x 55 inches.
- The frame is made from high-quality alloy steel which is rust and corrosion proof. It is therefore perfectly suited for use in mud, slush, and other such difficult conditions and terrains.
- It is easy to assemble and if needed you could use the services of a roadside mechanic to get the job done.
- The disk brakes according to many customers are of poor quality and they make a grinding noise as the brake.
- The bike is quite heavy given the fact that it is to be used on tough terrains.
There is no doubt that this is a mixed bag as far as this bike is concerned. It is an average bike which has been designed to perform and walk the talk as far as the basic features are concerned. However, there are some negative aspects like quality of the braking system which need to be addressed.
Gravity Liberty CX Shimano – Lightest Cyclocross Bike
Whenever we think about quality Cyclocross bikes there are reasons to believe that Diamondback is a name which evinces quite a bit of interest. Hence this model RCX also has brought in quite a bit of interest. It would, therefore, be interesting to have a closer look at the various features which come with this bike.
Some Important And Salient Features
- This is a high-quality aluminum competition cross frame bike the grade of material being DBR 7005.
- It also has a number of other important features including high-quality stainless steel spokes and the good quality Equation CL Aluminum rims.
- It also comes with a high quality 10-speed dual control shifters coming from the house of Shimano 105 Derailleur.
- It is available in two different sizes, medium 53 cm and large 56 cm.
- There are also two more sizes available on demand.
- The frame is quite lightweight without compromising on quality and toughness.
- it is an all-terrain bike suitable for field, mud, single track, staircase, sandpit and is designed to handle inclement weather and hurdle quite easily.
- The main strength lies in the high-quality DBR RCX fully butted 7005 alloy competition cyclocross frame.
- The lightweight nature of the bicycle is something which needs special mention.
- The fork is also a big takeaway as far as this bike is concerned.
- It is a versatile bicycle and can be used for steady commuting or for getting into some serious adventure biking.
- While on the whole there is no doubt that it is a quality bike, there are reasons to believe that the wheels need an upgrade. The wheels and spokes according to a few customers need to be lighter.
On the whole when one looks at the various functions, features and specifications, there is one thing common that emerges from it. It is a high-quality bike designed for versatile performance. It can double up as a regular commuting bicycle and the next moment it also can be used as an adventure bike and handle rough road conditions and terrains quite effortlessly.
Retrospec Bicycles AMOK V2 – Best Budget Cyclocross Bike
This certainly is a candidate for one of the supreme cyclocross bikes in the market today. It is feature rich and it comes from the house of Retrospec which has a good track record as far as quality bicycles are concerned. Though this is basically a single speed cyclocross bike, it has some amazing features which make it suitable for tough and rough terrains too.
Some Interesting Features
- It is a tig-welded, hand-built bicycle and hence the workmanship is of the highest standards.
- It is made from high quality 4130 Chromoly Frame.
- It comes with derailleur hanger and forged rear drop.
- It also features sealed bearing hubs which ensures lesser rolling resistance and maintenance also becomes that much simpler and easier.
- It also comes with alloy crank with 42 T chainring and a high quality sealed bottom bracket.
- The double wall rims are built for high performance and so are the 3/32 inch chain and Kenda small block 8 tires.
- It certainly is a bike which is all-encompassing as far as the terrains are concerned. It can work perfectly well as a road bike and can also handle staircases, zig-zag roads, dirt trails, hills and other such tough and demanding surface.
- It has the right of handlebars and comes with an ergonomic design which offers to ride comfort with performance.
- It is available in four sizes starting from 50 cm (small) to 60 cm (x-large). The intermediate sizes are 54 cm and 58 cm.
- It comes in an 85% assembled condition and assembling the balance would need the help of a mechanic. This perhaps could be avoided if it comes in a near 100% assembled condition.
If one takes into account the various features it certainly is a candidate for being one of the best cyclocross bikes in the market today. It has some of the perfect design features and the perfection of workmanship and materials behind it. The price is also competitive and it offers good value for money.
Retrospec Bicycles AMOK V2 – Cyclocross Bike For Road Racing
Retrospec is a name which needs no introduction as far as quality Cyclocross racing bikes are concerned. Hence this model AMOK V2 also evinces quite a bit of interest. It would be interesting to have a closer look at the various features as far as this bike is concerned. it certainly could be a great investment as a multipurpose bicycle which is designed to offer the perfect of riding satisfaction, performance and safety.
Some Interesting Features
- As is the case with all quality bikes, this is tig welded and also hand built.
- It is made from the best quality double butted 4130 Chromoly frame which ensures durability, toughness and high performance.
- It also comes with sealed bearing hubs which help in offering lesser rolling resistance and the maintenance required is also quite less.
- It also has a 9-speed Derailleur and micro Shift shifter making it easy to cruise along different surfaces with ease.
- It also comes with 3/32 inch chain, 700 C double wall rims, and high-quality Kenda small block 8 tires.
- The lightweight handlebars help a lot in the upright riding position and this puts a lot less pressure on the wrists.
- It has been ergonomically designed and is seriously durable and extremely lightweight. It is suitable for responsive steering and flexible riding.
- The cables are designed in such a way that it is easy to carry the bike on the shoulders, up the staircase and also across rivulets and streams.
- Though the handlebar is quite good, it flexes a bit when one rides the bicycle standing. Hence this is an area where there is improvement needed.
When one takes into account the various pros and cons, features and specifications it goes without saying that this is a gem of a bicycle. It has been designed for the good performance across various terrains and surfaces. It well and truly is an all-purpose bicycle which is built for durability, strong performance, safety and ease of use.
What Is A Cyclocross Bike?
As the name itself suggests there are some unique features which go in making Cyclocross bike different from others. One of the biggest differences of these bikes, when compared to road bikes and touring bikes, is the versatile use. It can be used both on and off the road. Because of their ability to be used for various purposes, they will come with sturdier construction. This will make them heavier than a road bike but lighter than a touring bike. The wheelbase will be something in between that of a touring bike and a road bike. The gearing of cyclocross will be slightly odd when compared to other bikes.
Tips For Choosing Best Cyclocross Bikes
Many people do not have the right idea and information about entry level Cyclocross bikes and therefore they may not know how to go about choosing the right one. Hence it is important to gather as much information as possible and then go about buying these bikes. The biggest challenge is that they are loosely based and they certainly look like road bikes on many attributes. Hence you must be able to make out the differences which will help you to choose the best bikes keeping mind your specific needs and requirements. We give below a few points to be kept in mind when it comes to buying these types of special bikes.
- Frame Material
The frame material and frame size are important points to be kept in mind when choosing these bikes. The same materials which are used to make road bikes are good enough as far as these bikes are concerned. You could, therefore, go in for alloy, steel, carbon or titanium as the main materials when looking at the cross bike frameset.
- Cable Routing
One of the most common and unique features about trek cyclocross bicycles is the cable routing. The cables are routed along the top tube. This is done with the main objective of keeping the gear cables out of mud’s way. This helps a lot in keeping the gears working even when you are moving through deep mud and perhaps even slush. You could also expect to come across curved underside down tube which perhaps could make placing the bike on your shoulders not very uncomfortable.
- Chainset Types
As far as chainsets are concerned they come with 46/36 chainrings and they are the ones commonly found in the market. This can be tailored to meet specific needs and requirements.
- Disc Brakes
Though cantilever brakes were commonly used in these trek cyclocross bikes, now disc brakes have become the order of the day. However, as the rules pertaining to braking systems for cycles were changed, disc brakes are now found in almost all specialized cyclocross bicycles.
- Tires And Wheels
You can choose wheels and tires having a based anything from 38 mm to 42 mm. You have a lot of flexibility in choice and could choose the one depending on specific conditions and terrains. The wheel size could be almost the same as road bikes and generally, it is around 700 c and you could choose something bigger or smaller if you need it.
Benefits Of Good Quality Cyclocross Bikes
One of the main reasons why many cycle enthusiasts choose the best cyclocross bikes over road bikes is because it has some obvious benefits and advantages. There is no doubt that there is a lot of fun element and adventure involved when you decide to use this type of bike. So, this perhaps is one of the main reasons as to why it is considered a better choice over road bikes or even special terrain bikes. Apart from this, there are a few more reasons as to why it makes sense to buy these bikes.
- It is the best value cyclocross bike which gives our total body a full workout. This is because the demands when riding this bike are quite high. You will have to be ready to put short spurts of intense efforts so that you are able to cover the terrain which forms a part of any cyclocross biking activity. It is one of the few bikes which also help to strengthen the upper arm and body parts when compared to riding a road bike. Offseason weight gain can easily be reduced when using this bike.
- It also goes a long way in improving bike handling skills. Controlling cyclocross bikes is no child’s play and there are some good bike handling skills that you will have to learn and master. Whether it is slithering through the mud or tank slapping through corners, your riding skills will certainly be tested to the hilt. You could also carry these skills over and use it when riding a road bike.
- There are reasons to believe that it will help a lot in toughening you up mentally and physically. You will have to go through the process of getting dirty, wet and enduring extreme heat and cold. You will also have to lift the bike over inhospitable terrains and therefore it certainly will help you to become quite tough.
Cyclocross Bike vs Road Bike
Hence at the end of the day, if you are one of those who wish to have some great fun, enjoyments and of course adventure, you have reasons to choose best Cyclocross bikes. They go a long way in honing your cycling skills apart from providing you the perfect of exercising and workouts for your body. They also go a long way in making you mentally tough. Further, these cycles are built to last and are programmed to take knocks and accept dirt and slush as a way of life. Hence they certainly offer good value for money apart from giving you the perfect of bicycling experience.